Thursday 19 November 2009

Bristol Go Club is now weekly

With membership between 6-8 regulars, it has moved weekly now, which is great.

Had two games with Paul C (~6k), one a teaching game and one a blitz, which I've never played before. The teaching game was very instructive, concentrating on fuseki and what moves are good and why. I had a large framework and could have done well, but insisted on rescuing a single stone which let him build a wall and the game was lost. The blitz game was good, because my rushed moves in a normal game often lead to disaster, but playing the whole game at that speed gives you a hyper-concentration mode which lead to fewer disasters. I still did pretty poorly, winning just one local battle, but not seeing that it had nowhere to go, and couldn't make life. Another group was lost because I thought it could easily make life, but Paul played in a vital point that I didn't expect.

Then, Richard (4d), partner of Louise (~1d) who have moved from the Isle of Man to Bristol kindly offered some 9x9 games with me to help develop fighting skills. Firstly on 6 stones handicap, which I won easily, then we had 2 games on 5 stones, one of which I lost and one I won. In both of these games, I responded poorly to Richard's ko threats. I must ensure that I know what I want from a ko fight before engaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment